Virginia Society of CPAs names 2022-2023 scholarship recipients
The Virginia Society of Certified Public Accountants Educational Foundation has named its college scholarship recipients for the 2022–2023 academic year.
The foundation awarded $59,250 in undergraduate, graduate and doctoral scholarships this year to 28 accounting college students across Virginia. The foundation also increased the amount of minority scholarships it offered by 25%.
Virginia State University student Indacia Turner, of Chesterfield, received the inaugural Curtis C. Duke and Dr. Ruth Coles Harris Scholarship, honoring the first Black male and female CPAs in Virginia. VSCPA members and donors raised $100,000 for the new scholarship fund.
Scholarship applicants must be currently enrolled or have been accepted in an accounting program at an accredited Virginia college or university with the intent to pursue CPA licensure. Other selection criteria for scholarships include academic performance, an entry essay, faculty recommendation and/or extracurricular activities.
The 2022-2023 VSCPA scholarship recipients include:
VSCPA’s Past President’s/Chair Scholarship ($2,000)
- Youjin Lee - University of Virginia
VSCPA Minority Scholarship ($1,500-2,000)
- Trinity Burton of Petersburg - Virginia State University;
- Simranjeet Kaur of Midlothian - Virginia Commonwealth University;
- Rebecca Le of Highland, Maryland - Christopher Newport University;
- Stephen Nkrumah of Alexandria - George Mason University;
- Darrell Pacheco of Charlottesville - University of Virginia Darden School of Business;
- Nigel Stewart of Waynesboro - Virginia State University; and
- Ryan VanHorn of Virginia Beach - Old Dominion University.
VSCPA Undergraduate Scholarship ($1,500)
- Angela Blair - Liberty University;
- Kristen Hoberg - Old Dominion University; and
- Olivia Tillett - Virginia Tech.
Curtis C. Duke and Dr. Ruth Coles Harris Scholarship ($2,000)
- Indacia Turner - Virginia State University
CST Group Scholarship ($3,000)
- Alina Ponomarenko - George Mason University
DHG Scholarship ($2,500)
- Madeline Duggan - Virginia Tech; and
- Julia Warshauer - Virginia Tech.
H. Burton Bates Jr. Scholarship ($2,250)
- Jordan King - Radford University
Michael E. Mares Scholarship ($2,250)
- Amanda Baker - Old Dominion University; and
- Justin Seymore - Virginia Tech.
MJW Scholarship ($2,500)
- Natalie Nguyen - George Mason University; and
- Mariam Farzayee - Virginia Tech.
Samuel A. Derieux, CPA, Memorial Scholarship ($1,500)
- Carla Quinteros - Virginia Commonwealth University
Thomas M. Berry Jr. Scholarship ($2,000)
- Nebiyat Endale - George Mason University;
- Hector Luna - Virginia Commonwealth University; and
- Esayas Temesgen - Virginia Commonwealth University.
Verus Financial Partner Scholarship ($3,000)
- Ainsley Duff - Virginia Tech
Virginia Tech Doctoral Scholarship ($3,000)
- Karneisha Wolfe of Blacksburg - Virginia Tech
WEC Scholarship ($3,000)
- Ethan Paitsel - Roanoke College
YHB Scholarship ($3,000)
- Jeffrey Kum - Virginia Commonwealth University
For more information, head to the Educational Foundation's site here.